Saturday, April 09, 2005

the Vietnam syndrome

Before I went to Vietnam although I was opposed to the occupation of Iraq, I like some thought of it as something inevitable and something that we were powerless to stop. But whilst I was in Vietnam, after hearing and thinking about the huge amount of damage done to that country, unimaginable damage that constitutes genocide and thinking about all I'd read... I remember this one day sitting on a boat just seething with anger about what had happened to Vietnam and thinking about how we absolutely could not allow it to happen again to Iraq. We went to a big craft shop that was set up as a charity for victims of agent orange. I don't know if you've ever read about the use of agent orange and it's still present effects on the Vietnames people but its simply horrendous. And also going to the museum of war crimes and seeing incredible photos and disgusting things done by the americans and their puppets in south Vietnam.
Then I came back home and more details about what had happened to Fallujah came out, we had these 'free fire zones' where anyone and anything was a legitimate target, we had the americans cutting off food and water and medicine from the city, shutting down hospitals, arresting doctors etc. And then we're now hearing about Napalm, the US using Napalm on cities and I think about Vietnam . Now when you as a westerner travel to Vietnam you encounter some of the friendliest people in the world, America and Australia absolutely devastated that country and yet they welcome us and share themselves and their culture with us. Somehow I can't imagine in 30 years going to Iraq and feeling safe and being welcomed.
Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)
To see more details, click here.