Thursday, September 09, 2004

A song of you

I'v just been reading some more HST in the form of a published collection of his letters spanning between 1955 and 1967. The book is titled The Proud Highway. i though i'd share some of his writing with you. This is an extract of a letter he wrote to a girl that he had some sort of brief relationship with.

For all my talk of orgies and the like, I can only take them for a little while, and theni'm ready to go looking for my idealistic bubble to crawl into. Don't tell anyone: I have a reputation to uphold.
Although I couldn't help but get the idea tha the "art" of flirting fascinates you no little, you wouldn't even have had to mention it and I would still have gotten the idea. I think you were trying to excite me. Witness these excerpts from your last letter: " I just tuggeg on my too-little bathing suit...have to pull up and down...another end to take care of'- "I am constantly flirting"-"Cracked my cerebrum; it must have been the side of controlling inhibitions" - "I had an urge... for a midnight swim in the Gulf." (That wasn't really your fault: you couldn't have known that we never wear any swimming suits at night.) Maybe I'm wrong after all: here I notice a passage where you say you've decided to become "the world's most frigid woman." Your confusion is obvious - contradictons galore, references to passion and frigidity in the same breath _ pther references to nudity, lewd old men, etc. - you obviously need a few restful days in Xanadu.
I must go for i have a sacred trust. Write immediately and tell me when you plan to arrive. I must make plans and all that sort of thing. Bring anyone you want (except Charlie); we have plenty of room for all. Until then , I remain,

Unsullied - Hunter

In Xanadu did Kubla Khan a stately pleasure dome decree:
Where Alph, the sacred river, ran through caverns measureless to man
Down to a sunless sea.

I'm not entirely sure why that passage appeals to me. Its probably because of the picture of HST you get, his romantic ,uncynical, youthful enthusiasm and love.
Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)
To see more details, click here.